Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Why I'm not an English Lit major

Random side note: the rest of the who I am in Christ stuff will continue next week, I don't have time this week for the extra reading.

Here's why I'm not an English lit person. We discuss the problems of all the characters and the authors of the stories we read, and all I can think about is their childhood. What was their attachment style as an infant, their temperament as a toddler, who was their primary care giver and what was their style, how did they transition through adolescence, what important relationships did they have as adults, that kind of stuff. I am totally a youth, adult, and family services person through and through. My YAFS professors would be proud. But English people don't care about that, they want to look at symbolism and motifs. Boring.

Today I'm not feeling so great about kids. Just one of those days where I babysat for a few hours this afternoon and it was rough. Fussy babies who only sleep when they're nursed are not easy when they're tired and you certainly can't nurse them and mom won't be home for 3 hours. Crackers and a sippy cup are just not the same. And the only swim lesson I had today kept kicking my knee and wouldn't do anything I asked. We spent lots of time sitting on the stairs talking about why we have to obey teachers. My fix for a rough afternoon of kids was to get coffee ice cream and hot fudge at Payless and sit in our parking lot with Amy laughing about funny kid stuff. One of the kids in her preschool class today grabbed her chest and said that she must drink a lot of milk to get boobs like that. Kids are just funny. Tomorrow will be a redeeming kid day, I get to watch Lillie and Raya for the afternoon, and have one of my favorite swim lessons after that. Time to crash in bed and get up early since I was too tired tonight to do my homework.

1 comment:

Ann said...

Yup, you are definitely a (insert alphabet soup) child/adolescent development person! And unfortunately I have those kinds of days with my kids, too :)