Sunday, July 22, 2007

good morning

Church was interesting today. Everyone who I usually sit with and talk with is out of town or their sick and their kids are sick. I felt so disoriented. There weren't kids to talk to and play with, and I just didn't know where to sit or who to talk to. It was good, stretched me out of my comfort zone. I even sat right up front in the middle instead of hiding in the back. The sermon was on Mark 10:13-16

"One day some parents brought their children to Jesus so he could touch and bless them. But the disciples scolded the parents for bothering him. When Jesus saw what was happening, he was angry with his disciples. He said to them, “Let the children come to me. Don’t stop them! For the Kingdom of God belongs to those who are like these children. I tell you the truth, anyone who doesn’t receive the Kingdom of God like a child will never enter it.” Then he took the children in his arms and placed his hands on their heads and blessed them."

One of my favorite passages. Tony told some great stories about the kids in RVCkids and explained kind of what goes on back there. I love that we have church back there, I think it's really important that they get the exact same quality of stuff we do in big church, just aimed at a kids level. I got all teary hearing what the kids said to their parents about what they learned and knowing that they do understand what we're teaching them about. It was good to think about why I feel called to work with kids and why it's so important. I thought a lot about how much I've learned working with the kids. I think it's funny that I can pray no problem with the kids and I don't even think twice about it, but with adults can't do it. I don't know what that's about, other than sometimes I feel a lot more comfortable with the kids than people my own age. I know that is where I'm called to be, I just don't know what it looks like yet. I'm really battling with whether or not I want to work in a place that's not faith based because you can't really talk about Jesus with them. There are so many laws that you have to be careful of working in social services or in schools. But they need to be loved on and prayed for and have good role models in their life. I just don't know. Something I really need to pray about and since I'm a big verbal processor need to spend some time chatting this up with someone who will be really honest with me.

No comments: