Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Lifegroup icebreaker

Our icebreaker tonight at lifegroup was "what is something you need help with". My response was that I need help asking for help. I'm incredibly stubborn and had be self sufficient really young and found all kinds of pride and identity in the fact that I don't need help. That really isn't true, I do need help, I need lots of help. There are lots of things I can't do on my own and I have to learn that it's ok to sometimes say that I need help. On my deep soul searching 10 minute drive home I realized that I have never once asked someone to pray for me, I'm completely terrified of it and I kind of feel like that if I am still not able to pray out loud for someone then I have no right asking someone to pray for me. It's stupid, I know, but that's just how things are right now. I just need to chat it out and then grow up.

On a slightly happier note, I got to watch Lillie and Raya this afternoon and we made the hand prints after all. I found a recipe online that's just 1 cup of water, 1 cup of salt, and 2 cups of flour. You can add food coloring if you want, I choose not to, and you roll it up and cut whatever shape you want, press in the hand print, and bake at 200 for 2 hours. It was so funny trying to explain to Lillie how it was mom's birthday and when we can show people we love them by giving them a birthday present. Apparently when you're 2 that means that mom should have a birthday party that you can go to, and no you don't get a present on someone else's birthday. Both girls however were very convinced that we were making cookies. All in all, a lot of fun and pretty successful, although I didn't take them off the parchment paper while they were warm so it kind of melted on to the back. Oops!

2 comments:

The Rock Star said...

I hear you about the help thing. I do not like asking people for things either, though I would do anything for them. I see you being the same way as that. It is tricky to get out of that trend, too. I think I do not ask for help mainly because I do not like troubling people to do something for me. Anyway...

The dough things were neat! I made that with some kids for Chemistry Week this past fall. We used food coloring. It was a mess! GOOD CALL ON THAT ONE! :)

Also... If you need a ride for the wedding still, let me know. I know you mentioned going with me, but there was no talk after that. I am leaving from Fiddlesticks at 5 pm. Just send me an email and let me know what you think...

Kim said...

It's a good realization to have Mindy. It will be harder to actually go through the process I imagine...don't let the enemy lie to you that just because you can't pray out loud you shouldn't receive prayer.

I'm so glad that the handprints went well. I bet Summer was thrilled! Summer mentioned that Lillie didn't understand why she wasn't going out with Summer for her birthday "party".