Monday, July 9, 2007

Day 4

Day 4: I Have Been Justified

"Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ" Romans 5:1 (see also Acts 18:39, Rom 3:28, Rom 5:9-11)

I this this is one of the most amazing promises, but one of the hardest to understand and live by. Justification is one of those words that I think Christians throw around but don't really understand. I have a general idea of what it is, but I sure don't understand it well. I got some insight from the dictionary, which says to be justified is to free a human of the guilt and penalty attached to grievous sin. My book explains the Greek verb and that it clearly means that we have already been justified before the Father, and Jesus has already paid the penalty for our sins. I think the has already part is pretty important. We can't do anything about something that's already been done. As a child of God we're freed from the bondage of sin, and we just get to be thankful for that. It's a kind of thankful that I can't think of a way to express. I really can't wait to be in Heaven where I can actually make some kind of attempt at expressing my gratitude. Nothing right now seems adequate. Just a really awesome promise to think about. Pretty excited for tomorrow's reading, I am united with the Lord and one with him in spirit. I think it's gonna be good.

1 comment:

Kim said...

It's so funny that you wrote that...I just finished posting my blog about struggling with sin and have felt very much in the pit the last week or so because of it...I need to remember that we are justified...