Sunday, July 8, 2007

Day 3

Day 3: I Am Christ's Friend

"This is my commandment: Love each other in the same way I have loved you. There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. You are my friends if you do what I command. I no longer call you slaves, because a master doesn’t confide in his slaves. Now you are my friends, since I have told you everything the Father told me. You didn’t choose me. I chose you. I appointed you to go and produce lasting fruit, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask for, using my name. This is my command: Love each other." John 15:12-17


Today I thought a lot about my best friend Lauren and how much I miss talking to her even though she's only been in Switzerland for 3 weeks. I miss hearing about her job, her fiance, her wedding. And you can tell your best friend anything, the really big life changing things and the little things that no one else would care about. I like having someone to talk to when I find a great new recipe or when the kids at church are super cute or I just made a really good cup of coffee. I am a friend of Christ, he cares about this stuff too. Harmony remembers to thank God for her princess birthday cake and pray for every scrape to be healed and I love that. When I ran I would talk to God about all kinds of things, and since I've been out of commission for a while I've switched to here are the big things, fix them, thanks, goodnight. I really want to make more of an effort to have a conversation with God throughout the day. He's my friend, I'm his friend, we should chat more.

After some inspiration and heart searching after reading about Ann's giving up the 6 C's of food, I am giving up my own 6 C's slightly modified. Whenever I'm sad, stressed, bored, or congratulating myself I turn to food. It's not healthy, I need to take my out of control emotions to God and do something more worthwhile with my time than eat. My 6 C's are candy, chocolate, cake, cookies, chips, and crackers. I don't need to eat any of these things, my body will be much healthier without them. And I'll be spending lots of time in prayer keeping this from being about food and body image issues and more about living a healthy life.

1 comment:

Ann said...

I hear ya about the running = prayer time. My 6 C's have been a huge challenge, especially on vacation, I've definitely not been perfect. But it is helping me figure out what hunger feels like, and finding better things to fill me with than junk.

We should definitely talk in person sometime!