Saturday, June 9, 2007

will you marry me?

Yesterday afternoon a 7 yr old with Asperger's syndrome asked me to marry him. He told me that he loved me very much and he pictured a story in his head of us getting married. What exactly are you supposed to say to that? To set the stage, Tyler tells me every week that he loves me, but this is the first time he's said he wants to get married. A few minutes later he told me that he remembered that his teacher at school told him to say that he loves someone in friendship, because he can't get married to people who are that much older than he is. So he rephrased his statement to I love you in friendship. A few minutes later, he decided that he didn't want to get married. He said he thought about it again, but this time like a movie in his head, and it was gross. Tyler's a fun kid, and he's one of my absolute favorite swim lessons. I just wasn't sure if I should be insulted or not that he thought marrying me would be gross. I mean, it would be, he's 7. It was just really funny.

1 comment:

Kim said...

I love kids like that. They bring spice and energy into sometimes monotonous(sp?) days!