Monday, August 13, 2007

silly goal

Do you ever have goals for your life that are kind of silly but important to you? I want to read. I love to read fun easy books, but I want to read the classics too. I want to be a well read person. I love to lose myself in books, in the characters and their emotions. I've read a lot of the "classics" because my high school was big on literature. We had to take English lit, western lit, modern lit, and classic lit, and I took great narrative works this summer. I saved a lot of those books and brought them back so that in time I can re-read them and actually enjoy them instead of obsessing about the paper I need to write about it. But there are a few I want to read first. I'm making my way through the lord of the rings trilogy slowly but surely. Here's the list of things I want to read next because I haven't read them and they're on pretty much every list of books you should read before you die:

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin
Jane Eyre by Emily Bronte
Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

Maybe some day this week since I have a lot of free time till school starts, I will go to my heaven on earth otherwise known as Barnes and Noble and browse for an afternoon. The trick is to leave my wallet at home and only bring my drivers license so that I don't try to buy out the store. This took several very expensive trips to learn. I'll make a good list of must reads and then become good friends with the library.

2 comments:

Kim said...

I have Jane Eyre if you want to borrow it...

Ann said...

Barnes and Noble definitely is a "leave your wallet at home" store! You've got a good list--I've read Jane Eyre but I think that's it. Other than Harry Potter books, I can't remember the last book I've read just for fun :(