Tuesday, May 22, 2007

why I run

I had a great run this morning. 5 miles sprinting up and down hills. I was gasping for air, sweating like crazy, and my legs were burning. It was fantastic. Running makes me feel like I can conquer anything that comes my way, it makes me feel stronger than I really am. There's nothing like running until you can't think about anything besides putting one foot in front of the other, everything else melts away and it's just you and the road. I really want to run the Indy marathon at the end of October. One year ago I was in month 3 of a 6 month stay in a cast and on crutches. I remember re-learning how to wiggle my toes, crying when I took my first step without my cane, and the hours spent every day in physical therapy for so many months. It's a good feeling to "beat the odds". I want to send that picture of me crossing the finish line to that doctor who said I'd never run again and be in a wheelchair by 40. Let's just hope I make it there.

1 comment:

Ms. Theophilus said...

I hear ya...I think I'm going for a run now! Why were you in a cast? You run girl, run!