Monday, October 1, 2007

Coffee shop talk

"For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases him." Philippians 1:13

Pretty sweet verse that I read the other day. Totally unrelated to the rest, just thought I'd share it. Kim Stroik and I had a great talk Sunday night at a new coffee shop by our place. We decided we're going to try and make Sunday night chats at a coffee shop a regular thing. It was great to really process the sermon after I'd had a few hours to think about it. We're both definitely external processors, so the conversation just kept on going. I really liked the sermon on elders and deacons. I definitely see a few areas in my life that need some work, and it was a good reminder that it's ok to desire to be a leader, not something I need to feel guildy about. Our talk last night centered around how do you have lists like these of things you need to be without becoming legalistic, which is something that I really struggle with. Very good talk on why things like this are so important, and how to keep it from becoming a list of rules of things I can and can't do. Also a good talk on how women compare themselves so much, and these kinds of lists can really be a struggle. I find myself looking at the list of things that the deacons (servants) should be doing and feeling like the other kids church teachers are all so much better. I know that these kinds of thoughts are a huge way that Satan attacks me, so it was really good to talk it out with Kim and see that I'm not the only one who thinks like that sometimes.

2 comments:

Kim said...

I'm so glad that you guys are getting a chance to chat. I love processing with other women. Be encouraged!

Ann said...

I'm glad you had a chance to process! I know it's easier said than done, but don't compare--God sees the inside, we only see the outside.