Thursday, September 13, 2007

When does my life actually become mine?

I applied for another job today with Healthy Families. It's a really cool organization with family services and it really does sound like the perfect job for me. To visit families of kids from birth-3 yrs old and talk about child development with the parents, and answer their parenting questions. The point is that education and support prevents parents from from abusing their kids. The other job I applied for is the sexual abuse family treatment intervention program case manager at the CFRC. I called my mom to tell her about them, I am really trying to let her in to my life some, but things like this make it really hard. She doesn't think that I should work with kids who ever were, are, or could be abused. Or people with eating disorders, mental health issues, behavioral problems, preschools, in any kind of church ministry, or in any kind of case manager position for that matter. So when does my life actually become mine? I don't want to be a business person like she and my dad are. I want my mom to be happy or supportive of my career, I'm not going in to it for the money or the glory, I'm really just want to speak for the kids who don't have the ability to do it for themselves. But I need to follow my heart and the passions that God has given me, not her passion for me. I'm just feeling really discouraged because I'm really discovering and pursing my passion, but meeting so much resistance from my family. I mean, she is praying that I don't get these jobs. And she's talking to all of her friends to make sure they agree with her that I shouldn't do this. It stings that my mom is praying against my dreams.

1 comment:

Ann said...

God gives you the desires in your heart, and he'll give you the perfect job too. Hard as it is, keep your eyes on him and off of your family. Easier said than done--many hugs!!! You'd be great at either job!!!