Monday, November 19, 2007

sermons

Sunday's sermon was really good. I'm so excited for these next four sermons on being more than a conqueror. I'm definitely a people pleaser addict. When Tony talked about the lengths he would go to just so that people would like him, I really got thinking about the things I've done in the past few years in a vain effort to make everyone like me. It wasn't pretty, that's for sure. The last year of my life really got jumbled up though. What's the line between serving others and people pleasing? In my head it's pretty grey. Because I want to serve others to make things easier for them and bring them some joy, and a side effect is that they like me too. I haven't totally wrapped my mind around it yet, but I'm trying. I've been pushing aside dealing with the people pleasing addiction, guess it's time to face the music.

The one sermon I'm not looking forward to because I know it will nail me is the one on busyness. Definitely an area in my life that needs a close hard look. A few months ago I said that I would be home by 7pm one night a week. Well, that hasn't happened in over a month. I've gone way past the boundary of appropriate busyness. I was at Barnes and Nobles the other day and saw the study on being a Mary in a Martha world. I don't even want to look at it, I know I'm falling hard on the Martha side. To try and soothe my mind, I try and justify things with the fact that I'm still having time with God every morning before classes or work. But even that is getting shorter and shorter, and my thoughts are so cluttered with junk that it's hard to concentrate. I'm going to use the long car ride to spend some time with God, and really look at what's going on in my life. I know that things are so much better now than they were a few months ago, but the refining is never really over.

2 comments:

Ann said...

Yup, I think we've got lots of company in the busy-ness category :)

Kim said...

Nope...the refining is never over...but that's the good news. God doesn't keep us where we are at. Glad to hear that you are moving in a forward motion though.