Monday, December 3, 2007

what is the world coming to...

I am so sad about the world today. I have twin cousins, Melissa and Alicia, who are a year younger than me. Melissa is a junior in interior design at Indiana University of Pennsylvania, and Alicia is in the air force and stationed in Germany for 2 years. Over Thanksgiving, someone broke in to Melissa's house at IUP and destroyed everything. It was a hate crime. They cut every cord in the house, electrical cords, USB cords, cables, everything. They cut up all their clothing, they poured bleach into all their food and drinks, poured syrup into all electrical appliances, cut their faces out of all their pictures and pasted them together with swear words on them, and graffitied the inside of the apartment. Melissa has been through so much in the past few years. She was a big partier, and has been in two serious car accidents where she almost died both times. Those car accidents were a wake up call to her and she has completely turned her life around, gotten plugged in to a church and Christian group on campus, and totally loves Jesus. But still, she's terrified right now, because they have no idea who did this, and everything she owned was destroyed in hate.

Her twin sister Alicia who's in Germany was attacked this weekend by another Air Force guy who lives in her building. He had a knife, and she was able to fight him in the hallway for 10 minutes until he started to get tired and she could make a run into her apartment and lock the door. Thankfully she wasn't seriously hurt. She's pressing charges, but she still has to see this guy every day and he still lives in her building right now. My heart is breaking for both of them. I want to help, I want to do something! I want to give Melissa everything she's lost, I want to protect Alicia from this guy, but I can't. All I can really do is pray, stay in contact with them, and encourage them in Christ. But my heart is breaking, and all I can seem to do is cry. These things shouldn't happen, but they do, and I feel like my hands are tied. God, show me how I can be there and support them both.

2 comments:

Kim said...

That's awful that those things happened to them!

Ann said...

Ugh. I'm sorry that happened to both of them and they'll be in my prayers too! I just don't know what some people are thinking...guess it's evidence that demons are alive and well...